22 April 2021 –
Humanity is now the largest driver of change on Earth. To minimize risk of climate change and biodiversity loss, this next decade must see the fastest economic transformation in history and at a global scale.
How does economic thinking accommodate these facts? How do economists make sense of this new responsibility for our planet? Ultimately, if we are to value our future we need to value resilience in societies and in nature. This Solution Session looks into the future with speakers who are leading on this transformation.
In 2020, the Club of Rome launched the Transformational Economics Commission, a group of leading economic thinkers, to address the triple crises of health-climate-biodiversity within the growing global problematique of socio-political and economic instability. The transdisciplinary and gender diverse experts from across the globe will focus on shifting short-term economics into long-term systems change by unpacking key systems dynamics and future-proofing a new 21st century narrative. The Commission is part of the major new international project EarthForAll which will publish a report in 2022, marking the 50th Anniversary of the ‘Limits to Growth’.
Sandrine Dixson-Declève (Co-President, Club of Rome) and Johan Rockström (Director, Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research)
In conversation with Andrew Steer (President and CEO, Bezos Earth Fund)
Accelerating Transformation Panel
Chair: Per Espen Stoknes (Director, Centre for Green Growth, Norwegian Business School)
- Sharan Burrow (General Secretary, International Trade Union Confederation)
- Jayati Ghosh (Professor, Centre for Economic Studies and Planning, Jawaharlal Nehru University)
- Ilona Otto (Professor, Wegener Center for Climate and Global Change, University of Graz)
- Carlota Perez (Honorary Professor, Institute for Innovation and Public Purpose, University College London)
- Jennifer Hinton (Researcher, Stockholm Resilience Centre)
Funding Transformation Panel
Chair: Leslie Johnston (CEO, Laudes Foundation)
- Ellen Dorsey (Executive Director, Global Wallace Fund)
- Tom Steinbach (Executive Director, Sea Change Foundation)
- Felicitas von Peter (Managing Partner, Active Philanthropy)